Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Still Unequal

“We conclude that in the field of public education the doctrine of ‘separate but equal’ has no place. Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal.”
(Chief Justice Earl Warren, 1891-1974: Brown vs. Board of Education 1954).

I was reminded of how public education is still segregated throughout our nation after watching a clip of a collegiate young man of color on Wheel of Fortune and mispronouncing “Achilles”; I cringed for him but I also remember a time when something similar happened to me in the 6th grade.  I am a foreign born Black woman, coming to this country when I was four years old.  My parents, who are also foreign born, settled in the Northeast Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the Winchester Square area of Springfield.  The first place we lived, a tenement, I was fortunate to be able to walk to kindergarten at Eastern Avenue Elementary and when we moved, the new neighborhood school, Homer Street Elementary.  Our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes used to have Spelling Bees of which my older sister and I always won. It was nice being able to walk to and from school, remembering just how smart I was within that school within that class, never knowing any better.  The shock and embarrassment of inequality did not hit me until I hit the 6th grade.  Bussing had started, so I had to attend another school for 6th grade, Brunton Elementary, an elementary school located in the predominately Caucasian community of Sixteen Acres.  I remember our principal, Mrs. Rose Chase, who introduced herself to those of us being bussed in and I remember the shock to my system in this new school; it was different and better.  While Eastern Avenue was clean, Brunton’s clean was another sort of clean; there were no “old” smells as was at Eastern Avenue.  The classrooms were more modern and the books were far more superior to what we had at Eastern Avenue and that, my dear readers, is where the embarrassment comes in.  I remember during a Social Studies class we were reading about the Industrial Revolution in this country and abroad, with everyone taking a turn at reading when the teacher called out their name; then she called mine.  Don’t get me wrong, I was a bright student.  Where my siblings and peers would have to really study, all I had to do was read something once and I remembered it. So, when I was called upon to read, I wasn’t nervous but then I ran across two abbreviations that I had no idea how to pronounce or even what they meant: Inc. and LTD.  I remember struggling to try to do my best to pronounce them with my Sixteen Acres resident classmates giggling; I felt like the most stupid person.  The teacher eventually helped me out after she realized that I really did not know.  When I got home, I showed my parents those words, neither did they know.  See, my Cuban born dad dropped out of school during the elementary years to work to help his family and my mom got a little further but never made it to high school.  Now, consider that the North was supposed to be better for any Blacks, domestic or foreign born, yet inequality was [and is] such a very intricate part of the American society, unless one is raised in a predominately Caucasian community, a public education is a joke.  I remember in 2006 when Oprah was still on, she had Bill and Melinda Gates as guests addressing public education in this country.  I remember they took cameras and interviewed some Chicago high school students in a predominately Black community school and their counterparts in a predominately White community school.  The differences in the appearances of the school, the resources, the text books and even the caliber of what students were learning was as different as night and day. Some of the students from the Black school were chosen to spend a week in the other school, I remember there was one young lady; very bright and intelligent and at the top of her class with a perfect GPA and going to college.  When the week was over, this young lady and her peers expounded on the differences between their school and the other but what stood out was her embarrassment that she was ill-prepared for college.  Why?  The trigonometry she learned was not on par to her peers in the suburban high school and even worse, she was never taught calculus.  I understood her feeling of inferiority, her confusion and her pain.  Before I continue, I have to point out that in her school as well as the elementary school I attended in my neighborhood, there were Caucasian students also but due to them living in a predominately Black community, they suffered the same educational fate as students of color.

If this was happening during my time in public education, which was around the mid to late 1960’s; one can only imagine how much worse it has become, especially since the Reagan administration taking many of the resources from the public school domain in an effort to close the federal Department of Education; a plan that has been and continues to be the goals of conservatives via the conservative think tank, the Cato Institute.  I remember when then Mayor of Washington, D.C. Adrian Fenty appointed Michele Rhee to be the Chancellor of their public school system.  I also remember that during a tour to size up the problems of that school system, she came across a warehouse full of new computers and updated books for the students. The bottom line is that there are far more adults who do not care about the quality of education minority students receive than those adults who do care and trust me when I say that race, gender, and ethnicity is moot in this argument.  Has anyone noticed that when reporters are interviewing  African Americans from “certain” communities, how dysfunctional their caliber of speech is? Or even the caliber of speech of poor Whites in their own “certain” communities.  The monies that are supposed to be going into schools in these “certain” communities are being diverted to communities that have no need for the funds.  When LBJ started his War on Poverty, he ensured that federal monies would be going into the schools of economically challenged communities and for a while it did, but no longer.  Between the administrations Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush, the programs to fund these schools were gutted.  George W. Bush realized what had been done was wrong and why NCLB (No Child Left Behind) came about; he was trying to fix, in his own way, what conservatives had done to further disable financially and resource deficient struggling schools. NCLB also places more responsibility upon educators which many of them hate yet considering that it was a profession that they chose, I was a little taken aback by their attitudes.  We look at the high dropout rates of minority students especially males and the income disparity in our country; how can we not demand better for these students?  Why isn’t more being done for many of these minority students? Because many still hold to the idea that people of color are not as intelligent as the current predominant race.  But they fail to realize that while illegal, running a drug ring takes intelligence; a stupid or mentally inferior person could not handle the task. 

In closing, I am reminded of the 1983 John Landis movie, Trading Places, starring Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd.  For those of you unfamiliar with this film, it more or less addresses some of the merits of this article.  Dan Aykroyd plays Louis Winthorpe III who came up privileged and is a commodities trader, Eddie Murphy plays Billy Ray Valentine a homeless con artist and street peddler.  Winthorpe works for two brothers who also came up privileged, Randolph and Mortimer Duke, who reminds me of the Koch brothers but that’s for another article and time.  Anywho,  the Dukes saw Billy Ray one day and came up with a plan, actually a societal experiment to see what would happen if  the wealthy White guy and poor Black guy switched places.  Well, the Duke brothers pulled it off and while Billy Ray thrived in the commodities arena albeit some cultural differences in approach. On the other hand, poor Louis, who was set up to appear to be a peddler of drugs, went off the deep end.  At the end, the two paired up against the Duke brothers after Billy Ray overhears a conversation they have in the company’s bathroom.  The gist is that given the opportunity, poor minority students can and will rise to the challenge and succeed but maybe that is what so many are afraid of.  It is perhaps that they realize as Horace Mann (1796-1859) did.  The father of public schools, he started it specifically for children of the poor seeing the same economic disparity then as now; realizing just how powerful and education is, said:  

“Education, then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the greatest equalizer of the conditions of men- -the balance-wheel of the social machinery.”

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment